Cranford & Local Reffing Print This Page
1. FALL 2018 SEASON HAS CONCLUDED. To Referee for CSC Home Intercounty U10 & U11 8v8 Games – click here to submit RSVP reservation form each week during the season anytime from Sunday afternoon to Tuesday 6pm. This reservation adds you to the available pool of referees that Cranford Soccer Club will use assign for these in-Cranford games. For Fall 2017, CSC assigns referees for 13 teams, offering 4-8 weekly home game opportunities for Grade-8 & Grade-9 Refs. Assignment preference is given to Cranford students, is based on ref experience & competition level of the match. Every effort will be made to assign these games by Wednesday noon so as to confirm and allow you to submit MNJYSA availability (Wed night)… but our timeline ultimately depends on game confirmation by coaches. SYSL/Intercounty referee quick sheet click here.
2. To Referee for MNJYSA for all travel in Cranford, Westfield, Linden, Elizabeth, Rahway, etc. & Cranford U13+ Intercounty games – click to email Referee Assignor Pete Milwicz the NJ Area 12 assignor for instructions to get in the MNJYSA ref assignment pool. MNJYSA handbook click here. NOTE – refs submit availability to Pete M each WED by 11:30pm & these assignments are typically sent to you on Friday. CSC IS NOT INVOLVED IN ASSIGNING THESE GAMES. If you submit/RSVP for MNJYSA prior to Cranford Intercounty game assignment you must re-submit the CSC form to update your availability for Cranford assigned games (above).
Double-booking assignments with CSC/MNJYSA & no-shows must be avoided.
This is immediate blemish & will eliminate future referee assignments that season if repeated. Pick where you want to referee, RSVP, await assignment then confirm attendance.
Recently certified referees please click the NEW REFS tab to review the CSC acclimation & mentoring period.
Youth Soccer Refs Explained
- Grade 9 Recreational Referee (age 14+) can be Head Referee in Intercounty games typically (not mandatory) two years below their age. Can Assist Referee for competitive youth games (Travel).
- Grade 8 Competitive Youth Referee (age 16+) can Head Referee any youth game (Intercounty or Travel) provided they are 2-years older than the age group. Can Assist Referee any competitive youth game. (i.e. 17-year old Grade-8 referee cannot be Head Referee for U18 but can be Assistant Ref).
- Grade 7 Adult Amateur Referee & Grade 6 State Referee can referee as per Grade 8 plus Adult leagues (does not typically apply to CSC).
Useful Referee Links & Info
CSC Ref & Coach Game Incident Reporting – all games with 6+ goal differentials, injury, coaches conflict &/or red cards.
Become a USSF Certified Referee – (Grade 9 Recreational Referee age 14+, Grade 8 Competitive Youth Referee Requirements age 16+). Certification classes offered during the offseason (winter & summer).
Referee Annual Recertification Classes – click here – are offered during the offseason (winter & summer).
New Referee CSC Acclimation & Mentoring
Newly USSF certified referees (Grade-9) are typically assigned by Cranford Soccer Club for several weeks as Assistant Ref to experienced Grade-8 center refs. This provides a mentoring opportunity during match play where the new ref learns from the experienced referee.
Once proficiency & confidence is demonstrated – and the new referee is comfortable & ready – they will be assigned as the center referee with an experienced (Grade-8) referee being assigned as their AR to further the mentor process. By observing, learning & working with an experienced referee the new referee will best learn their craft. Referees can limit themselves just to AR if that meets their comfort level of course.
This mentoring period provides an avenue for new referees to gain experience – in a less challenging environment, under the supervision/guidance of an experienced referee – to help produce better referees confident in their ability! We hope this keeps new referees engaged & stay involved as they get older to referee even more competitive matches.
New referees who wish to submit to MNJYSA for game assignment (see LOCAL REFFING section) should clearly specify their age, credentials & situation – including towns they are willing to referee – to ensure placement in games suited to your current ability.
Required Referee Equipment (for any match):
- Black Shorts & Socks (Black under shorts & under shirt as needed)
- Referee Jersey (3 colors minimal Red, Black, & Yellow. Blue & Green also long sleeve or short)
- Black comfortable sneakers/cleats
- Referee Patch – must be worn for all games
- Whistle – hand or landyard
- Red/Yellow Cards (hopefully never to be used!)
- Score sheets & Pencil
- Flags (Head Ref supplies flags but ARs bring yours too)
- Watch/Stop Watch
- Optional: Black Hat & Referee Bag with trash bag to protect equipment from rain.
Go Soccer on Rt. 22 has a Kit for $45.00 that includes the whistle, stop watch, pump, needles in a nice travel size bag. They also have the cards, and other accessories as well. The owner is Ray and can help you out with the required equipment.