New refs please click the NEW REFS tab to review the CSC acclimation & mentoring period.
Cranford & Local Reffing (updated 11/12/2018) Print This Page
THANK YOU CRANFORD REFS. SYSL Season assignments have concluded 11/11/2018 with playoff round-2. Nov 17-18 is the last weekend of TRAVEL season please RSVP with Pete below for the last weekend of games.
1. THANK YOU CRANFORD REFS for a great season that concluded Nov 11, 2018 Stay tuned for WINTER INDOOR ref opportunities,
To Referee for CSC Home RECREATIONAL “Intercounty” Games – click here to submit RSVP reservation form each week from Sunday AM to Tuesday 8pm for first consideration. If you miss the Tues deadline you can submit but risk missing the primary assignments. Each week RSVP’ing adds you to the ref pool that Cranford Soccer Club will use assign for these Cranford home games. For Fall 2018, CSC will assign referees for 16 teams (12 with ARs) ages U9 thru U13/15 giving great opportunities for Grade-8 & Grade-9 Refs. Assignment preference is given to Cranford students, is based on ref experience & competition level of the match.
Every effort will be made to assign confirmed games by Wednesday noon which will let you submit MNJYSA/Travel availability by Wed night… but our timeline ultimately depends on game confirmation by coaches. League links: quick reference & BOL info.
2. To Referee for MNJYSA for all TRAVEL in Cranford, Westfield, Linden, Elizabeth, Rahway, etc. & Cranford U15/HS Intercounty games – click to email Referee Assignor Pete Milwicz the NJ Area 12 assignor for instructions to get in the MNJYSA ref assignment pool. MNJYSA handbook click here. NOTE – refs submit availability to Pete M each WED by 11:30pm & these assignments are typically sent to you on Friday. CSC IS NOT INVOLVED IN ASSIGNING THESE GAMES. If you submit/RSVP for MNJYSA prior to Cranford Intercounty game assignment you must re-submit the CSC form to update your availability for Cranford assigned games (above).
If you were assigned and have a CONFLICT please contact us ASAP. Double-booking assignments with CSC/MNJYSA & no-shows must be avoided. Just pick where/when you want to referee, RSVP, await assignment then confirm attendance.
Build Out Line for 7v7 & 8v8 Play
Youth Soccer Refs Explained
Current year USSF Referee Badge is supplied during yearly winter recertification & is required to referee any game.
- Grade 9 Recreational Referee (age 14+) can be Head Referee in Intercounty Recreational games typically (not mandatory) two years below their age or can Assist Referee for any recreational game. For competitive youth games (Travel) can not be Head Referee but can be Assist Referee for games U14 & younger.
- Grade 8 Competitive Youth Referee (age 16+) can Head Referee any youth game (Intercounty or Travel) provided they are 2-years older than the age group. Can Assist Referee any competitive youth game. (i.e. 17-year old Grade-8 referee cannot be Head Referee for U18 but can be Assistant Ref).
- Grade 7 Adult Amateur Referee & Grade 6 State Referee can referee as per Grade 8 plus Adult leagues (does not typically apply to CSC).
Useful Referee Links & Info
CSC Ref & Coach Game Incident Reporting – all games with 6+ goal differentials, injury, coaches conflict &/or red cards.
Become a USSF Certified Referee – (Grade 9 Recreational Referee age 14+, Grade 8 Competitive Youth Referee Requirements age 16+). Certification classes offered during the offseason (winter & summer).
Referee Annual Recertification Classes – click here – are offered during the offseason (winter & summer).
New Referee CSC Acclimation & Mentoring
Please use the EQUIPMENT menu item above to review the equipment you must bring to any referee assignment.
Newly certified USSF certified referees (Grade-8 or Grade-9) are typically assigned to Assistant Ref with experienced Grade-8 center referees. This provides a mentoring opportunity during match play where new ref gain real experience not provided with playing the game or in the referee class.
Once proficiency, confidence & comfort is demonstrated you can be assigned as the center referee with an experienced (Grade-8) referee being assigned as their AR to further the mentor process. By observing, learning & working with an experienced referee the new referee will best learn their craft. Referees can limit themselves just to AR if that meets their comfort level too.
This mentoring period provides an avenue for new referees to gain experience – in a less challenging environment, under the supervision/guidance of an experienced referee – to help produce better referees confident in their ability! We hope this keeps new referees engaged & stay involved as they get older to referee even more competitive matches.
New referees who wish to submit to MNJYSA for game assignment (see LOCAL REFFING section) for “competitive youth” Travel games should specify their age, credentials & situation – including towns they are willing to referee – to ensure placement in games suited to your current ability. Typically MNJYSA requires one full year of AR work before being considered for Center referee.
Required Referee Equipment (for any match):
- New referee starter kit – good choices on Amazon.com click here
- Black Shorts (Cold weather allows only black under garment or leggings)
- Black Referee Socks
- Referee Jerseys have 3 colors minimal Red, Black, & Green. Blue & Gold are not often used in Cranford since our teams wear Blue or Gold. Long sleeve or short. Cold weather allows only black long sleeve under garment)
- Black comfortable sneakers/cleats
- Referee Patch – must be worn for all games
- Whistle – finger grip whistle or landyard 2-pack whistle
- Red/Yellow Plastic Cards & Wallet (hopefully never to be used!)
- All-weather pocket notepad pack or alternate 5-pack & Pencil/pen (all weather click pen here)
- Set of Referee Flags (Head Ref often supplies flags but ARs bring yours)
- Wrist Watch/Stop Watch (phones are not ideal)
- Referee Bag or backpack (bring trash bag to cover your referee bag & equipment when raining).
- Optional: Plain black Cap useful to have in your bag especially games before sun set.
- NOTE – old USSF jerseys shown below can be used in 2018 but not 2019.